Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Neutral Baby

I actually love not knowing the gender of my baby in regards to what I sew, make or buy for it. My thinking changed from what should I make for my son or daughter to more of what should I make so that my baby will enjoy it disregarding the gender-theme color and patterns. I've found tons of fabrics that are gender neutral so that if we decide to go for a second baby I don't have to buy new clothes or toys.

Looking through some of the baby stores I'm happy that they feel the same way and are beginning to introduce more gender neutral products. I particularly like the products from Skip*Hop. Their products have fun patterns, but not in your typical bright colors that are overwhelming! However, they still stimulate interactions and creativity. Instead of hiding all your baby toys and gears when visitors come you actually want to leave them out because they are so cute.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against parents who dress their girls in pink and their boys in blue or has gender specific toys.  I just actually like funky clothes for my kids, like the skulls t-shirts, Nightmare before Christmas tutu, Bob Dylan onesie, etc. Before someone come up to me and say "OH, your baby is wearing pink/blue today. I thought you don't want that!", I will occasionally dress my kid in those colors especially if they are accompanied by some funky logo or if its not your typical shade of baby pink/blue. Or if they are given to me as a gift. Or if it's on dirt cheap discount and that's the only color they have. After all my bigger goal is to save money. I will also gladly accept hand-me-down clothes/gears in those colors since that mean FREE stuff; more money for COLLEGE! And I am willing to also accept team logo clothes that aren't the Yankees, Giants, or Jets. You just won't see that baby outside with it. He/She can vomit on it all it wants inside the house.

2 comments:

  1. I have things to give you that Wyatt never even got to wear...he grew so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. We will gladly take them. Wyatt looks awesome cool in all his clothing!

      Delete