Monday, August 27, 2012

Applique onesie


Since I have some fabric remnants I decided to cut out a dog from one of the fabrics and make it into applique to put on a onesie.

Crap I've Made and See Vanessa Craft  have very simple tutorial on how to make a appliqued onesie.

Quick tutorial:  Cut out any shape you like. Bond it to the onesie with fabric adhesive using an iron. That's basically it.  There are some good fabric adhesives out there including Heat and Bond Ultrahold .

I chose to also hand-stitch the edges of the shape to ensure that it stays in the wash since I've never used fabric adhesive before and not sure how it will turn out. Better safe then sorry. It took me a long time to hand stitch it, but if you're good with a sewing machine you can secure the edges that way. Will update you once I attempt the sewing machine path.

By the way, remember to wash your onesies and applique before the project so that it doesn't shrink on you later.



Photo by petite brooklyn mom

Update Sept.03.2012: I decided to make a pear applique today using just the "heat and bond ultra-hold" adhesive without stitching the edges.  I attempted to make a template by drawing a pear looking at the one on the fabric.

Should have signed my piece of art. Might be worth something one day!


Should look something like this. Identical,  right?!

I never claimed to be a great artist. Frustated, I consulted with the husband, who told me to make a copy of the fabric pear using the copier machine at 250% enlargement (in black & white to save the color inks!), and then cut out the pear. Not only did I married the sweetest guy ever; I also married a GENIUS! 

After that I followed the simple instructions from See Vanessa Craft.  The finished product:


Photo by petite brooklyn mom

I went on to make an elephant applique onesie:

Photo by petite brooklyn mom

"hello" bunting onesie : Requires hand-stitching the word, "hello" and also the string. You can also use a sewing machine to secure the buntings.


Photo by petite brooklyn mom

Photo by petite brooklyn mom

No comments:

Post a Comment