Monday, September 17, 2012

You are loved.

I wanted to make something for the guests at our baby shower to sign as a keepsake for the baby. I didn't want a guestbook because it will rarely be opened and looked at.

Laura at corner house blog made the sign below for her house. Love it. Simple. Beautiful. Meaningful.



I've decided to make one of my own, but in a much smaller scale. I purchased one piece of wood (10"x11") from the IKEA as-is section for $1. Later found some free woods at my parents' house for backup just in case I messed up this one. 

Here is how I made my sign:

1.Using Word, I wrote the saying in the font and size that I like. Printed out the saying. Outline the words using a razor. You might find it easier to use a exacto knife. I just used whatever is available.

2. Lay the outline paper onto the piece of wood. Tape it into place. Use a sharp pencil and outline it onto your piece of wood. 
3. Remove the paper from the wood.  You are left with a pencil outline of the say.

4. Using white acrylic paint and brush (can be purchased at arts & crafts store such as Michaels), I went over the "YOU ARE LOVED" saying. 
5. I used a mediterranean blue paint for the "ALWAYS". Originally, I wanted to do it in black, but since I only had this color I decided to use it instead. I'm VERY HAPPY with that color now. 


6. You can hang it on the wall with a ribbon attached with two eye hooks or picture frame wall hooks. Will decide on that after the baby shower. 


Completed sign. I love it. Can't wait for the guests to sign it. It will be so much more vibrant with all the different colors from the guests' signature. It will be hung up next to the crib in our bedroom/nursery.

What do you think? My husband prefers the first part of the saying to have the same font as "always" and maybe a darker color instead of white.  I think maybe black might make it more dramatic. We'll see. I do have three more pieces of wood left :)

Update 09/20/2012:  Here is another version of the sign. This one the guests will only sign their first names in the word LOVED.  Mr. T and I already signed it. Hopefully, everyone will be able to fit their names on it.




Which one is your favorite?






No comments:

Post a Comment