Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I CAN sew!

Yes, I'm finally doing it. I am sewing Chase his clothes.

First project: pants.

Here is a great tutorial video by the Crafty Gemini. I enjoyed watching this tutorial. Her instructions are very clear and she shows you every single step.  In this tutorial she recycled an old T-shirt and turned it into baby pants. Or if you want, shorts since Spring is almost here!

You don't need to know how to read patterns. Just grab one of your baby's pants and use that as a pattern instead.

Here is my finished product:


Front of pants

Back of pants

Note to self: attach applique first before sewing the pants. Less bulkiness and easier to manuever on the sewing machine. The applique was an afterthought.

Also need to try different elastic bands. This elastic has a tight stretch. Didn't realized there are so many types of elastics out there.

Took me about two hours to sew these pants because I had to intermittently go back and forth watching the Youtube video and sewing it.

Not so bad for a first trial. Grabbing more of my husband's t-shirts and turning them into pants and shorts!


Update: 02/09/2013

After finishing Chase's new pants I felt that they're missing something. Then I realized that I got these cool fabric paints called Ink Effects Fabric Paints that allow me to add some details on the pants really quickly.

Basically, you print out the image using regular printer's paper. Paint the image with the Ink Effects Fabric paint. Wait for 30 mins for it to dry. Iron the image on the pants and you are done!

Chase with his fishing hooks pants

Second pair of pants...actually made from scratch with a pattern using the T-shirt tutorial above:

Super hero pants




Cowboy Pants 


HAPPY SEWING!


No comments:

Post a Comment