Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Crib Mobile...so far

I've finally decided to make a simple heart mobile for the crib.

HERE IT IS! IT'S RAINING HEARTS!
photo by petite brooklyn mom


photo by petite brooklyn mom


I'm going to test drive it for a week to see if I want to add a hot air balloon to it or add more hearts. I will probably tuck in the extra white felt to give it a more cloud look or maybe add cottons to make it a fluffy cloud.

How to make the hearts:

1. Cut out two felt heart shapes...one for the front and one for the back of the heart. 
2. Place the two heart felts together. Hand sew around the heart, leaving a little opening. 
3. Stuff the heart and then finish sewing it up. 

I used clear thread to connect the hearts together. For each heart I made a knot so that it doesn't move on the thread. Then just connect that to the felted cloud. The cloud is held up by fabric hoop. I got it at Jo-Ann. They always have 40%-60% discount coupon. 


So how did I hang the mobile up? Originally, I wanted to make the mobile really long and hang it from the ceiling using a hook. Mr. T doesn't like the idea of hanging anything from the ceiling, except for light fixture. I've decided to use a stick placed in a vase with rocks to hold it in place. If you want other ways to hang up a mobile take a look at little red farm.

If you look at the first picture, I connected two lint cleaner tubes together. They are very flexible so it's easy to manipulate. The problem is that it was too flexible so I had trouble standing it straight up in the vase. I took a branch that Mr. T had found on one of his daily dog walk a while back and decided to tie the tubes to the branch and placed rocks and pebbles in the vase. Use a tall vase so you can fill it up for stronger stability. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't stress how awesome your projects are! You're a good woman for having such patience and creativity for these things!

    ReplyDelete